I had a spare laptop from Jennifer. It does not have a working screen. I use that to test all kinds of software and OS systems. Recently, I gave up trying to use Fedora (Linux OS). Simply because I do not have enough knowledge to fix it when it crashed. I installed a beta version of Window 7 to see how "wonderful" it is as many people have praised it on their blogs.
One most obvious change that Window 7 has is that it is more friendly to hardware and software. And a Pentium 4 2GHz, 512Ram machine can run it smoothly without lags. I become more and more believe that Window 7 could really be the next generation Window OS system. This is to say that Windows vista is another failed product like one of its predecessors--Window ME.
But there is one feature that Window 7 borrows from Window vista. It has more strict rule of executing or copying files into folders. Sometimes, you need to run the program as the administrator in order to have the full control. Let's go back to RWinEdt.
Install the RWinEdt package in Window vista or Window 7 requires some tricks. Here are the steps:
- Start up your R as the administrator (right click the R shortcut and you will see the option)
- install RWinEdt package in R Console (install.packages("RWinEdt"))
- type help(package="RWinEdt") to see the help file of RWinEdt. In the bottom of the help file, there is a dir path. Write down it or memorize it.
- type library(RWinEdt). You will see error messages and it will place a RWinEdt shortcut on the desktop. But the shortcut will not work properly.
- go to the aforementioned RWinEdt path and go under the folder "Plugin."
- Copy all files *.edt into .....\winedt\macros\R *
- Copy files R-*.bmp into .....\winedt\bitmaps\buttons *
- Copy files R_*.bmp into .....\winedt\bitmaps\images *
- Copy all other files into .....\winedt
- close R related windows and restart R again.